Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Company We Keep

I heard a fly buzz

I heard a fly buzz when I died;
The stillness round my form
Was like the stillness in the air,
Between the heaves of storm.

storm cloud

The eyes beside had wrung them dry,
And breaths were gathering sure
For that last onset, when the king
Be witnessed his power.

swarm of empresses

I willed my keepsakes, signed away
What portion of me I
Could make assignable, -and then
There interposed a fly,

With blue, uncertain, stumbling buzz,
Between the light and me,
And then the windows failed, and then
I could not see to see.

-Emily Dickinson

12 comments:

Judy Felker said...

Thank you for the beautiful art and composition. It made my day.

naomi orana said...

WOW!!
Just amazing, the Emily Dickinson poem really adds another dimension to your beautiful work.

holly aka golly said...

Thank you both so much. I love Emily Dickinson. No one else captures our internal and external world so beautifully.

Tammie Lee said...

gorgeous painting
and perfect with her poem

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Wonderful work, Holly. The cloud gathering together is really unique. And I really read this poem and the images enhanced it beautifully.
xx
julie

holly aka golly said...

Thank you Tammie and Julie!
I hope you both have a wonderful weekend!

Laura Ottina said...

Hi Holly, I have been a fan of your art for a while, and I just created a post about you on my blog Animalarium. I hope it's ok!

holly aka golly said...

Thanks Laura, that's so nice of you!

Anna Davern said...

Hi Holly,
I found your work via Animalarium and I think it's wonderful! I posted about your work on my blog http://annadavern.com.au/blog/
Cheers, Anna

holly aka golly said...

Thank you Anna! So glad you found me!

Unknown said...

these couldn't be any more wonderful and whimsical and i'm a huge fan of dickenson too-- thank you holly-- it always makes my day to view your wonderful work and inspired posts!

gracia said...

Delighted to have found my way here; your work is marvellous.