Wednesday, August 15, 2012

From Watercolor to Gouache


I just finished this large painting yesterday.
These large works, with their tiny details are sometime daunting and
I wonder if I'll ever finish. I get impatient.
My mind is already racing ahead and I can't paint fast enough.
I just ordered a set of gouache tube paint which I am so excited to use.
I'm ready to try something new. New palette, new paint, new ideas.
Next week I'll dig in. For now I'm dreaming up images.
Making my lists of words and drawing in a little moleskine sketchbook.
For me, it is a little departure and an adventure.
I'll see you soon!

9 comments:

foo said...

I love your artwork and can't wait to see what you do with gouache.

annamaria potamiti said...

Yes. I know what you mean, I have been loving gouache and it's fuller body. I am looking forward to what you will make of it;)

holly aka golly said...

foo: thank you so much!

annamaria: you have inspired me to make some changes and experiment a bit more.

passifleur said...

Good luck in your new aventure!

artist said...

It's always exciting to try new materials, and with your talent I'm excited to see what you create.

AnitaLM said...

lovely! i've been following your blog for many years, and i thought it was time to make a reference to mine.

Sarah Melling said...

So lovely. The all-warm color palette is perfect.

Vesper Stamper said...

I cannot WAIT to see how your work looks in gouache. It's funny, so many illustrators work in it, but when I went to Parsons they were very much in an experimental mixed media stage and just beginning digital, so I never learned traditional media. I feel comfortable now in watercolor after transitioning from acrylic about 4 years ago, but I long for that punchy sharp edge sometimes.

I'd love love LOVE if you'd do tutorials in gouache at some point. LOVE your work SO much.

holly aka golly said...

Thank you all!

Vesper: I almost went to Parsons, but when we are young sometimes venturing a little farther from home is just as important as the school :) Gouache, while it seems such a close cousin to watercolor is very different and I am a little out of my comfort zone, but that is good, no? Anyway, I'll be sure to post something about it soon.